We just love talking about our life and challenges as a parent. At office yesterday, me and a few colleagues were having a conversation on parenting tactics and how we need to play 2 roles:
- Caregiver – where the mandate is to keep the kids well fed, clean and healthy. Often this is related to physical health and safety.
- Mentor and guide – where the mandate is to look at the growth aspect – mental and spiritual development and guidance for decision making
The ratio of time we need to spend playing each role depends on the child – her age, her temperament, her stages of evolution, and not solely on us.
This is very true for a Good Leader too. Leading a team means adapting to their evolution stage.
- Caregiver : Is your team satisfied and happy ? do check of the basic Satisfaction criterions (salary, education , work conditions) are met . Use Surveys like Pexiscore.com which tell you the factors of importance and the employee satisfaction with these critical drivers. In this deliverable, the HR department is a big enabler and a primary participant. Do leverage this partnership.
- Mentor and guide : This is the tricky part where you are the primary participant . I am noting down 6 steps which work to be able to perform well here. The HR department here becomes and enabler, and the primary initiative, in my opinion, rests with the business leader.
- Understanding the evolution level of a team : SWOT is a great way to map out the current status of the team/s you need to lead.
- Understanding the deliverables in a 1 year timespan : This enables you to prioritise the areas of development for the organisational goals achievements (since most organisations plan KPIs for 1 year)
- Deciding on the small sub -goals that you want to take the team through to meet the yearly goal : Quarterly performance metrics .
- Measuring the delta professionally and in an unbiased way : Using tools like Pexiscore.com and other Talent assessments to quantify the team’s current ability.
- Planning the interventions : Learning and development interventions or new hiring / talent acquisition or both. This stage is where HR plays a big part for enabling outcomes and managing the process.
- Measuring the effectiveness of the intervention at a 3/4th (75% of the timeline) stage : best done by using the same Talent measurement tools used on step 4 above (check out Pexiscore.com) .
And then we wait and watch the team perform without the need to spend on enforcement costs.
About us : we at People Excellence Indicator Score help organisations meet KPIs in the space of People management (increase Revenue per employee , Reduce Absenteeism, create Mental wellness programs , Create benchmarks for assessments used in hiring and promotions for better Talent management etc.) We do this with a combination of Assessments and Surveys followed by analytics, giving clear insights and roadmaps for organizations and teams. (Please view sample reports at https://pexiscore.com)
Follow us : https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/pexiscore/
Reach us : +91 7349662320 / 21 / 22